Process of normal changes in body functions that occur after sexual maturity and continue until death.
Maximum Life Span : Maximum number of years a species can live. eg: Human 110-115 years
Life expectancy : Average length of time a member of a population can expect to live. eg: Human ~75 years
Problems of Ageing population.
Caused by : * improved health care. * Nutrition
- Need to provide support.
- More chronic illnesses, more expensive medical care.
- Have to provide a dignified life.
Age related changes.
Physical : Height , Weight, Skin
Physiological : Immunity, Mobility, Body Composition, Sensory,Gastrointestinal and other organ system changes.
Psychological : Appetite, Stress, Depression, Alcoholism, Alzheimer's
Cellular Level Changes of Ageing.
- Fewer doubling of cells and finally stops.
- Heterogeneity of cells in size shape and meiotic ability.
- Homeostasis mechanisms related with immunity and cell replication get less effective.
- Progressing failure of cell DNA repairing.
- Abnormalities in mitochondria.
- Decreased enzyme functions.